School Health Assistant- USD 508 – Baxter School District
COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER OF SOUTHEAST KANSAS
POSITION: School Health Services Assistant (USD 508)
DEPARTMENT: School Health
REPORTS TO: School Health Services Coordinator
DIRECT REPORTS: None
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The core values of Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas (CHC/SEK) are dignity and stewardship. Each staff member is expected to perform their job duties in a way that preserves dignity for our patients and maintains good stewardship of the Center's resources.
This position is part of the School Health clinical team. This position assistant with daily tasks, such as registering patients, verification of insurance. This position may also function as a Medical Assistant, including giving injections, measuring vital signs and ensuring the exam rooms on stocked and clean. This position will also assist the Coordinator with various programs, including school health, KidCare connection van, dental outreach, Head Start health programming and medical outreach programming.
- Registers patients and enters insurance information, including scanning documents, to the EHR.
- Interviews patients, measure vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, height, updates medication list and allergies at each visit and records information in EHR.
- Provides injections or treatments and performs routine laboratory tests.
- Prepares stations for examination of patients; assures all areas are clean.
- Inventories medical supplies and materials.
- Maintains consistent patient flow by monitoring scheduling system.
- Supports Providers in patient care to include specialty procedures/tests.
- Maintains flexibility in daily tasks, as this position may be asked to substitute for school nursing.
- Performs additional duties, as may be assigned.
- Drives van to scheduled sites with set up completed by 7:45am.
- Sets up and breaks down van-including inserting jack stabilizers and outlet hookup.
- Maintains van with gas and water supply.
- Transports patients to specialty appointments (i.e., eye care, audiology, etc.).
- Transports vaccines, supplies and mail to Mobile Van using appropriate and safe techniques.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Certified as a CNA/CMA preferred
- Valid Driver’s License required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient-and employee-base
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rationale of appropriate patient care.
- Communicates through appropriate channels. Use proper chain of command for patient complaints.
- Ability to handle emergency situations calmly and effectively.
- Must be computer literate.
- Must be able to maintain good inter-personal relationship with co-workers and other members of the health care team and the organization.
- Provide customer service in accordance to the organization’s mission.
- Be courteous and respectful when interacting with patients and family members.
- Maintain patient confidentiality in accordance to organization’s policy and procedure and HIPAA requirements.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally required to sit; regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. This position is regularly required to crouch, kneel and crawl due to set up of the van. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Computer work is frequent and regular. Good lighting and comfortable temperature of ventilation at all times.