School Health Assistant-KidCare Connection- Pittsburg, KS
COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER OF SOUTHEAST KANSAS
POSITION: Medical Assistant I (KidCare Connection)
DEPARTMENT: School Health
REPORTS TO: School Health Coordinator
The core values of Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas (CHC/SEK) are dignity and stewardship. Each staff member is expected to perform their job duties in a way that preserves dignity for our patients and maintains good stewardship of the Center's resources.
This position is part of the school-based health center team. This position is responsible for the initial interactions with patients, parents, and school staff. This position is responsible for initiating the patient's encounter in EHS and verifying all necessary consents/insurance are in place. Duties include supporting the diagnoses and treatment of patients seen on the mobile school van. This position supports medical outreach activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES ANDRESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides positive impression, through words and tone, to patients, visitors and school staff, and employees presenting to the clinic areas.
- Enter the patients into the electronic health record through scheduling and registration.
- Verifies patients have appropriate consents/insurance in the system.
- Interviews patients, measures vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, and height, updates medication list, allergies at each visit and records information in EMR.
- Provides injections or treatments as directed by provider.
- Prepares treatment rooms for examination of patients; assures all rooms are clean and dispose of trash in rooms.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments. Inventories medical supplies and materials.
- Support CHCSEK school nurses by assisting in staffing when needed.
- Maintains consistent patient flow by monitoring scheduling system.
- Transports specimens, equipment or supplies utilizing appropriate and safe techniques.
- Able to drive the KidCare Van and appropriately set up at designated locations.
- Provide basic maintenance for the KidCare Van, reporting any problems to the Maintenance Department in a timely manner.
- Support outreach activities as needed.
- Able to perform as medical assistant in clinic setting.
- Performs all duties, services and documentation in full compliance with CHC/SEK policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Graduation from a certified CMA/CNA program is preferred.
- Experience in clinic or healthcare setting.
- Computer literacy.
- Able to communicate with others to effectively convey information.
- Ability to drive, park, set-up, and service as needed a mobile health clinic vehicle.
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient-and employee-base.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Hazardous material inventory and MSDS available. Wears personal protective equipment as needed. May be exposed to patients/public with communicable diseases.