School COVID Nurse – Moran USD 256
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is part of the School Health team. In keeping with CHC/SEK’s original vision that all children be “ready to learn,” this position is responsible for overseeing and evaluating the work of CHC/SEK school nurses with a focus on ensuring that all students receive high quality care, access to CHC/SEK and community resources and that schools work to develop a culture of wellness .
- Coordinate a program of communicable disease control based on Kansas immunization laws by assessing and monitoring the immunization status of each student.
- Coordinate with parents options to assure student compliance with immunization requirements.
- Maintains student medications following district polices on medication administration.
- Coordinate completion of student health record and maintain a cumulative health record for each student per the system used by District.
- Communicate/consult with parents, teachers, counselors, administration, as appropriate, concerning student's individual health needs.
- Provide ongoing nursing support for students with identified conditions that necessitate consistent monitoring.
- Organize and conduct student health appraisals to include medical examination, vision and hearing screenings, and height/weight measurements meeting state regulations.
- Coordinate the care for students who are injured or who become ill at school.
- Assist in providing emergency care for accidents and sudden illness of students until parents assume responsibility.
- Submit accurate and timely reports as required by various health/state agencies.
- Observe District reporting requirements for student illness, accidents, safety hazards or unsanitary conditions.
- Adhere to all district health and safety policies, including all precautions of the Blood Borne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan.
- Participate in the District emergency preparedness plan as required.
- Comply with state and federal privacy/confidentiality requirements, HIPAA & FERPA.
- Maintain supplies for clinic observing District policies for ordering supplies.
- Establishes communication and referral process for students to utilize the school-based health clinic.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Licensed Registered Nurse in the State of Kansas; to obtain multi state licensure within 90 days of employment.
- BLS certification required (must obtained within six (6) months from date of hire).
- Previous experience in a school health setting preferred.
- Previous experience in pediatrics preferred.
- Knowledge of Vaccine recommendations and guidelines
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Ability to interact with school staff and understanding of The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).