Referral Specialist – Parsons, Kansas
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is part of the referral team providing support to patients and healthcare providers throughout the organization. The Referral Specialist is responsible for ensuring that referrals to external providers are completed in a courteous, efficient, accurate, and timely manner with appropriate documentation to help ensure continuity of care for patients and referring providers. The Referral Specialist also reviews files, records, and other documents to obtain information in order to respond to requests. The Referral Specialist communicates with patients, staff, and others to disseminate or explain the referral process and provide overall guidance in the process.
- Schedules and confirms patient diagnostic appointments, surgeries, and consultations.
- Accurately documents referrals within the Electronic Health Record.
- Performs authorizations and pre-certification by completing and submitting documents and discussing requirements with providers, insurance carriers and patients.
- Track referrals to assure documentation is obtained to assure continuity of care.
- Schedules follow-up appointments and works with consulting providers and patients to assure that appointments are kept.
- Requests patient health information from other entities.
- Understands and is able to perform health information functions such as accurately and efficiently scanning documents into the Electronic Health Record.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Familiarly with medical terminology.
- Experience in a healthcare setting preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate in a professional, courteous, and respectful manner when interacting with staff, external organizations, patients, and family members.
- Familiarity with healthcare - especially medical - terminology.
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient-and employee-base.
- Must be organized and able to manage/prioritize tasks to meet deadlines, adapt to change in a positive manner, able to work as a part of a team.
- Communicates through appropriate channels. Use the proper chain of command for complaints.
- Must be computer literate, especially with Microsoft Office products and be proficient with the Electronic Health Record software.
- Must be able to maintain good interpersonal relationships with co-workers and other members of the health care team.
- Provide customer service in accordance with the organization's mission.
- Maintain patient confidentiality in accordance with the organization's policy and procedure and HIPPA requirements.