Laboratory Technician-Fort Scott, KS
COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER OF SOUTHEAST KANSAS POSITION: Laboratory Technician
REPORTS TO: Laboratory Director
The core values of Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas (CHC/SEK) are dignity and stewardship. Each staff member is expected to perform their job duties in a way that preserves dignity for our patients and maintains good stewardship of the Center's resources.
This position is a part of the Clinical team. Provides information for patient diagnosis and treatment by performing laboratory tests in toxicology and hematology. Receives, types, tests, and records inventories.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides positive impression, through words and tone, to patients, visitors, and employees presenting to the clinic.
- Organizes work with specimen labeling; sorting specimens; checking labeling;logging specimens; creating reports; keeping work surfaces clean and orderly.
- Communicates with staff and patients in person and over the telephone.
- Administers needle sticks for the purpose of testing blood, disposing of sharps properly.
- Works with Electronic Health System; keeps paper backup of logs.
- Contributes to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers by following established standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Previous lab experience preferred.
- Computer literacy
- Able to communicate with others to effectively convey information.
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient-and employee-base.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to both sit and stand; use hands and fingers to operate computer keyboard, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Computer work is
frequent. Good lighting and comfortable temperature of ventilation at all times.