Triage RN (12 hr. shifts)- Pittsburg, KS
POSITION: Triage RN
DEPARTMENT: Population Health
REPORTS TO: Population Health Manager
DIRECT REPORTS: None
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The core values of Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas (CHC/SEK) are dignity and stewardship. Each staff member is expected to perform their job duties in a way that preserves dignity for our patients and maintains good stewardship of the CHC/SEK's resources.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The Population Health Department works to enhance patient health, improve the health of populations, reduce the cost of care, and create efficiencies in CHC/SEK’s system of care. These goals are achieved through the identification, management, and outreach to groups (such as children or diabetics), as well as through projects to improve workflows to meet quality goals, measures, and standards of care for the patient population in general.
The Triage RN is part of a multidisciplinary team that supports patients, providers, and other members of the healthcare team. This position is responsible for evaluating and assessing patients’ health needs based on telephonic or virtual assessments. The Population Health Nurse will focus on initiatives that reduce unnecessary emergency department utilization, decrease hospital readmissions, promote medication adherence, and other quality-driven efforts.
- Contact patients that have been recently discharged from an inpatient setting to ensure a smooth transition back to primary care.
- Contact patients recently discharged from an emergency department to evaluate status and arrange for follow up as needed.
- Provide medication reconciliation in conjunction with hospital discharge summary and document patient status post discharge.
- Serve as a clinical resource for non-clinical call center staff.
- Perform telephonic triage for patients seeking care with varied complaints.
- Provide nursing assessment via telehealth platforms as needed.
- Utilize triaging software for assistance with patient care and education.
- Handle multiple in-bound and out-bound calls.
- Schedule appointments accurately in the scheduling system, includes making scheduling adjustments as needed.
- Identify potential social determinants of health, evaluate patients for chronic care management services, and refer as appropriate.
- Coordinate patient care with clinical staff by communicating necessary information with clear and concise documentation.
- Support Quality and Population Health departmental efforts (e.g., promote medication adherence, assist with scheduling annual wellness visits, completing health risk assessments, and other quality-based projects).
- Contact new and/or existing patients prior to an appointment and obtain a complete medical history, including a list of current medications, etc.
- Identify issues that impact risk management, quality improvement, and revenue cycle.
- Recognize opportunities for continuous improvement to patient care and develop a plan of action.
- Identify opportunities to implement best practice approaches and innovations to improve outcomes and enhance organizational efficiency.
- Assist in educating provider and support-staff in population health initiatives.
- May participate in specific CHC/SEK outreach events involving specific populations and provide nursing care as needed.
- Execute all duties and services in full compliance with CHC/SEK policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Forty (40) Hours per week, including three (3) shifts of twelve (12) hours each, Monday through Friday; Shifts will be 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
- Ability to work a weekend call rotation (call rotation work can be performed remotely); Rotation with be no more frequent than a one-in-six weekend rotation.
- Possess a valid Kansas Nursing license, multistate preferred.
- Registered Nurse with two (2) or more years of experience required.
- Strong clinical assessment and prioritization skills required.
- Basic Life Support certification required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient-and employee-base.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rationale of appropriate patient care.
- Demonstrate problem-solving, prioritization, collaboration, and customer relation skills.
- Communicates through appropriate channels. Use proper chain of command for patient complaints.
- Ability to handle emergency situations calmly and effectively.
- Must be able to multi-task and manage time appropriately.
- Thrive in working with technology.
- Become proficient with the organization’s electronic medical record system.
- Must be able to maintain good interpersonal relationships with co-workers, other members of the health care team, and the organization.
- Provide customer service in accordance to the organization’s mission.
- Be courteous and respectful when interacting with patients and family members.
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the organization’s policy and procedure and HIPAA requirements.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Travel may be required throughout the service area.