Pediatric Dental Assistant – Parsons, Kansas
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is part of the pediatric dental team SEK Smiles. This position is responsible for assisting the pediatric dentist and dental hygienist in the direct provision of primary care dental services. This position is responsible for sterilization, preparation and inventory control of dental instruments and supplies. Able to apply sealants, child prophylaxis and special procedures, such as pouring lab impressions and nitrous oxide administration/monitoring. May be designated as a trainer and/or provide supervision over other dental assistants.
- Serves as the dentist's or dental hygienist's chair-side assistant in clinic and the hospital operating room.
- Prepares operatory, in clinic or hospital, for patient treatment per clinical protocols and/or dentist's or dental hygienist's direction.
- Anticipates the sequence of dental procedures and is prepared in advance of them so that the dentist may work as efficiently as possible.
- Identifies all instruments for stainless steel crowns, space maintenance and pulp therapies.
- Perform coronal polishing with effective plaque removal
- Apply pit and fissure sealants.
- Competent to assist with special services, such as pouring lab impressions and fitting bands for space maintenance.
- Understands and effectively implements the Tell-Show-Do technique.
- Take, associate and evaluate digital and phosphor plate radiographs for diagnostic quality.
- Assist in the administration and monitoring of Nitrous Oxide.
- Identify correct papoose size and safely assists the doctor with placing a child in a papoose.
- May be assigned to train staff and/or provide supervision to other dental assistants.
- Reviews the patient's health history for documentation in the electronic dental record.
- Demonstrates proper charting in electronic dental record.
- Can correctly identify oral anatomy and primary/permanent teeth with eruption dates.
- Maintains a sterile and neat working environment.
- Observes universal precautions at all times.
- Maintains adequate clinic supplies
- Assumes the responsibilities associated with any expanded duties that may be delegated by the dentist.
- Complete all job functions observing confidentiality and HIPAA requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Graduation from Dental Assisting Program, preferred
- Certified Dental Assistant certification, preferred.
- Must meet or exceed expectations at 90-day competency review to be eligible for the job description.
- Nitrous Oxide certification required.
- Must be BLS certified.