Outreach Nurse Specialist-Pittsburg, KS
POSITION: Medical Outreach Assistant
DEPARTMENT: School Health
REPORTS TO: School Health Director/Nursing Director
DIRECT REPORTS: None
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The core values of Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas, Inc. (CHC/SEK) are dignity and stewardship. Each staff member is expected to perform their job duties in a way that preserves dignity for our patients and maintains good stewardship of CHC/SEK’s resources.
This position is part of the School Health team. This position will assist with daily tasks, such as registering patients, verification of insurance, tracking hearing referrals, compiling/distributing medical outreach information. This position may also function as a Medical Assistant, including giving injections, measuring vital signs and ensuring rooms/outreach areas are stocked and clean. This position will also assist the Coordinators’ with various programs, including medical outreach, school nursing data entry, and Head Start programming. This position will serve as a liaison among school health staff, to help create continuity around the organization as related to patient quality, experience and satisfaction.
- Registers patients and enters insurance information and demographics, including scanning documents, to the EHR.
- Maintains consistent patient flow by monitoring scheduling system and overseeing the waiting area.
- Obtain patient consents as required by policy and schedules/re-appoints patients as needed.
- Tracks referrals to ensure that documentation is obtained for continuity of care.
- Interviews patients, measure vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, height, updates medication list and allergies at each visit and records information in EHR.
- Provides injections or treatments and performs routine laboratory tests.
- Prepares stations for examination of patients; assures all areas are clean.
- Enters student medical information into the District’s software system to assist with maintenance and updating of student information.
- Inventories medical outreach supplies and materials.
- Travel to all school health sites and outreach locations for training and implementation processes as needed.
- Maintains consistent patient flow by monitoring scheduling system.
- Assists with developing new and/or refining existing health improvement initiative’s to best meet the health needs of students, ensuring program utilizes evidence-based practices and reach targeted population.
- Works independently with minimal supervision, working toward accomplishment of established goals.
- Stays current with Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, Immunization Action Coalition, Center for Disease Control and Kansas Department of Health and Environment regulations that impact the program.
- Administer or Coordinate health education (CPR training, puberty talks, etc.), vision and hearing screenings, etc.
- Assumes other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- BLS Certified
- Hearing Certified
- Knowledge of Vaccine recommendations and guidelines, preferred.
- Ability to interact with school staff and understanding of The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).
- Valid Drivers’ License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient-and employee-base.
- Communicates through appropriate channels. Use proper chain of command for patient complaints.
- Ability to handle emergency situations calmly and effectively.
- Must be computer literate and able to navigate through the Electronic Health Record.
- Must be able to maintain good inter-personal relationship with co-workers and other members of the health care team and the organization.
- Provide customer service in accordance to the organization’s mission.
- Be courteous and respectful when interacting with patients and family members.
- Maintain patient confidentiality in accordance to organization’s policy and procedure and HIPAA requirements.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to situ; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Computer work is frequent. Good lighting and comfortable temperature of ventilation at all times.