Outreach Dental Hygienist- Iola, Kansas
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is part of the outreach dental team. This position provides state screenings, preventive and rehabilitative caries control and periodontal services as assigned by the treatment plan in alternative settings such as schools, health departments, and Head Start locations as well as clinic as needed. This position provides oral education and participates in quality improvement activities.
- Assists int he oral health management of all clinic patients;
- Obtains baseline oral hygiene assessment data based upon accepted principles of oral hygiene and periodontal;
- Provides oral health education and appropriate individual counseling for dental patients;
- Provides clinical oral hygiene services including dental prophylaxis, scaling, sealant/fluoride application consistent with accepted professional practices and standards;
- Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by a dentist in accordance with state regulations and clinic protocols;
- Support all assigned dental outreach activities;
- Assists in preparing for upcoming outreach events;
- Understands state regulations and requirements for each program and successfully executes all paperwork and documentation necessary for each program and CHCSEK;
- Obtain an Extended Care Permit to perform allowed services under the general supervision of a CHC/SEK dentist as prescribed by state law;
- Observes universal precautions at all times;
- Responsible for accurate, timely, and clear dental record documentation;
- Complete all job functions observing confidentiality and HIPAA requirements;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited school of dental hygiene;
- Unrestricted license to practice Dental Hygiene in the State of Kansas;
- Performed at least 1200 clinical hours in the last 3 years prior to employment, preferred;
- Kansas Extended Care Permit I, II, III, preferred;
- Must be BLS certified.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient-and employee-base;
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rationale of appropriate patient care;
- Communicates through appropriate channels. Use proper chain of command for patient complaints;
- Ability to handle emergency situations calmly and effectively;
- Must be computer literate and must be proficient with the organization's electronic health record;
- Must be able to maintain good inter-personal relationship with co-workers and other members of the health care team and organization;
- Provide customer service in accordance to the organization's mission;
- Be courteous and respectful when interacting with patients and family members;
- Maintain patient confidentiality in accordance to organization's policy and procedure and HIPAA requirements.