Oral Surgery Dental Assistant – Pittsburg, Kansas
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is part of the oral surgery team, SEK Oral Surgery. This position is responsible for assisting the oral surgeons in the direct provision of oral surgery services. This involves not only assisting the surgeon with their duties but also working closely with the patient to ensure they’re comfortable. Oral surgery assistants carry out tasks such as preparing equipment before surgery, discussing the procedure, and any aftercare with patients.
- Serves as the oral surgeons chairside assistant in the clinic and the hospital operating room;
- Prepares operatory, in clinic or hospital, for patient treatment per clinical protocols and/or the oral surgeon’s direction;
- Prepare patients for treatment by talking them through the procedure;
- Anticipates the sequence of dental procedures and is prepared in advance of them so that the oral surgeon may work as efficiently as possible;
- Assist in the administration and monitoring of Nitrous Oxide;
- Reviews the patient’s health history for documentation in the electronic dental record and summarizes/highlights medical conditions for the oral surgeon as it pertains to potential complications;
- Document each patient’s treatment and progress on their records, noting any X-rays, updates to dental issues and treatments;
- Demonstrates proper charting in the electronic dental record;
- Keep the surgery area clean ensuring that all equipment is sterilized before and after use and that all preparation areas are thoroughly cleaned to meet health and safety regulations. Observes universal precautions at all times;
- After surgery, talk the patient through any complications or successes and provide them with follow-up instructions, oral hygiene advice, and postoperative care tips;
- Maintain adequate clinic supplies;
- Track supply inventory and responsible for re-ordering when necessary.
- Assumes the responsibilities associated with any expanded duties that may be delegated by the oral surgeon.
- Complete all job functions observing confidentiality and HIPAA requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Graduation from a Dental Assisting Program preferred.
- Prefer two (2) to three (3) years of oral surgery assisting experience.
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA), preferred.
- Nitrous Oxide certification required.
- Basic Life Support certification required.