Outreach Nurse Specialist
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is part of the School Health team. This position works with the School Health Director to coordinate medical outreach events, including staff and equipment. The Outreach Nurse Specialist provides nursing services in support of the outreach provider(s). The position will identify areas of re-education needs, coordinate training needs and serve as a liaison among school health and medical outreach staff to help create continuity around the organization as related to patient quality, experience, and satisfaction. The Outreach Nurse Specialist ensures that all equipment and supplies, including vaccine, are used and maintained in compliance with all regulatory agencies.
- Provide nursing services in support of the outreach provider(s).
- Schedule outreach events and coordinate appropriate staff, facilities, equipment, and supplies for the event.
- Coordinate and/or conduct health education (CPR training, puberty talks, etc.).
- Coordinate and/or conduct the individual screening of vision and hearing. Plan, update, and coordinate all mandated screening procedures.
- Work with the Director of Nursing and Risk Manager to ensure outreach staff training and competencies.
- Stays current with all regulations involving immunizations.
- Responsible for all the outreach event vaccine management activities including, receiving vaccine, storage, and handling, monitoring and reporting temperatures, ordering and distribution of vaccine.
- Maintain and upkeep of all portable outreach vaccine coolers. Track, monitor, and report any new units to KDHE
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be licensed as a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse in the State of Kansas.
- Pervious experience in pediatrics preferred.
- Must be BLS certifies.
- Knowledge of Vaccine recommendations and guidelines
- Valid Driver's License required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient-and employee-base;
- Communicates through appropriate channels. Use the proper chain of command for patient complaints.
- Ability to handle emergency situations calmly and effectively;
- Must be computer literate and able to navigate through the Electronic Health Record.
- Must be able to maintain a good interpersonal relationship with co-workers and other members of the health care team and the organization.
- Provide customer service in accordance with the organization's mission.
- Be courteous and respectful when interacting with patients and family members.
- Maintain patient confidentiality in accordance with the organization's policy and procedure and HIPAA requirements.