Healthcare Interpreter – Pittsburg, Kansas
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position provides accurate interpretation and translation of critical medical information in direct service to physicians and/or other health care providers or support staff who are seeing patients who cannot speak or understand English.
- Precisely and accurately interprets critical medical advice and information given by the provider into equivalent terminology in the patient’s native language.
- Interpret information regarding the patient’s and family’s medical needs including consent for treatment, history and physical assessment, etc.
- Ensure the patient and the health care provider understand the questions, answers and instructions transmitted by the speaker.
- Assist health care providers in understanding patient’s culture as it relates to health service interaction.
- Assists in translating medical text from English on behalf of internal and external customers; may translate patient education information as requested.
- Establishes and maintains quality service and positive interaction with patients, customers, visitors, health care providers and other staff members.
- Assists with patient follow-up as necessary, to include contacting patients with appointment reminders.
- Provides occasional services outside of normal working hours on an as-needed basis.
- May accompany and/or transport a CHC/SEK patient to another appointment outside of the CHC/SEK health system, such as to rehabilitation services or to a specialist appointment.
- Perform all duties, services and documentation in full compliance with CHC/SEK policies and procedures.
- Trains new interpreters to the organization and may assist with interview process of applicants.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Medical terminology.
- Valid drivers license.
- Interpreter/Translator Certificate and/or Certificate of competency from an approved Interpreter/Translator training program required. Certification must be obtained within six months from either date of hire or effective date of transfer to the position.