Fleet Coordinator and Driver – Pittsburg, KS
POSITION: Fleet Coordinator and Driver
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Facilities
DIRECT REPORTS: None
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The core values of Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas, Inc. (CHC/SEK) are dignity and stewardship. Each staff member is expected to perform their job duties in a way that preserves dignity for our patients and maintains good stewardship of the CHC/SEK’s resources.
CHC/SEK, in collaboration with Building Health, is passionate about serving our communities and eliminating all barriers to access to care and a healthy life. The Fleet Coordinator/Driver position participates in delivering innovative and sustainable patient programming to address a high priority need in CHC/SEK communities – patient transportation. This transportation program will focus on safe, clean, reliable, and timely services, connection patients with referrals to internal and external resources, and fleet management. Our current fleet includes over 40 vehicles, and well over 400,000 miles traveled per year. This position is more than logistics; it’s utilizing data to inform a program to improve the patient experience and ultimately improve access to all types of community resources to advance community health indicators.
This position will focus improving access to care by providing transportation in CHC/SEK vehicles, connecting riders to internal and community resources, and participating in outreach activities. Activities may include driving community members to appointments or other needed locations such as grocery stores, delivering prescription medication, and utilizing technology to complete safe, and timely rides.
The overview of this position is: to operate gasoline powered vehicles safely and effectively; to follow established company policies and procedures regarding the transportation of passengers/patients, vehicle safety and appearance and the reporting of mechanical, traffic, or behavioral problems encountered; to assist passengers, if needed, to maintain positive public relations with the passengers in the provision of ongoing transportation services.
- Responsible for CHC/SEK fleet management oversight including vehicle procurement, maintenance, scheduling, and retirement.
- Coordinate, implement, and ensure compliance with vehicle safety programs, and ongoing driver education such as defensive driving courses, etc. in accordance with all program requirements.
- Ensure that all vehicles and drivers are in compliance with DOT regulations.
- Review complaints from customers regarding transit operations; resolve problems in a timely and effective manner to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction.
- Drive assigned vehicle to pick up passengers over specified routes to local points according to a time schedule in a professional, safe, and courteous manner.
- Greet and assist, if needed, passengers by helping them board or depart from the vehicle at the curb or help to and from the door.
- Report delays, breakdowns, and accidents using technology systems; make written reports of all incidents/accidents involving the vehicle or passengers during shift.
- Remain alert to traffic and driving conditions to ensure safety of the passengers and the vehicle; drive defensively and courteously.
- Ensure correct completion of required transportation forms utilizing the Pre/Post Check Inspection forms.
- Be aware of and follow all safety procedures and rules.
- Arrive to work timely and dressed accordingly to company policy.
- Ability to follow route/drop-off/pick-up instructions accordingly to provide a high level of customer service and a timely route.
- Must be flexible and have adaptability to last minute changes in daily schedule.
- Be aware of customer needs and provide an exceptionally high level of quality customer service.
- Train substitute/new drivers on driving safety, records and other requirements.
- Be aware of CHC/SEK mission and philosophy to the extent that casual conversation in the community can promote community awareness.
- Maintain and monitor data management and dispatching system to organize fleet per necessary schedules and requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Degree in related field or equivalent 1-2 years’ experience preferred.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in transportation management or closely related work preferred.
- Must be able to be enrolled with and meet the eligibility requirements for payors and the auto insurance company/coverage.
- Valid Driver’s License with a safe/clean driving record.
- Basic Life Support either upon hire or within six (6) months from date of hire.
- Ability to gather and assess system data to identify trends, service gaps, and opportunities.
- Working knowledge of transportation scheduling, fleet management, maintenance and vehicle repair.
- Other required training must be completed within six (6) months from date of hire and on an annual basis. Training includes, but is not limited to CTAA Pass Basic, Defensive Driving and Wheelchair Securement.
- Bi-lingual preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient-and employee-base.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rationale of appropriate patient care.
- Must be organized and able to manage/prioritize tasks to meet deadlines, adapts to change in a positive manner, able to work as a part of a team.
- Communicates through appropriate channels. Use proper chain of command for patient complaints.
- Ability to handle emergency situations calmly and effectively.
- Must be computer literate, especially with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to maintain good inter-personal relationship with co-workers and other members of the health care team and the organization.
- Provide customer service in accordance to the organization’s mission.
- Be courteous and respectful when interacting with patients and family members.
- Maintain patient confidentiality in accordance to organization’s policy and procedure and HIPAA requirements.
Work is performed inside and outside. Exposed to traffic hazards and inclement weather. Must be able to lift a minimum of 15 pounds; and occasionally up to 75 pounds. Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time. Must have the ability to bend, lift and climb stairs. Must have specific vision abilities required for close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Computer work is frequent.