Driver – Fort Scott, Kansas
POSITION: Community Health Driver
REPORTS TO: Transportation Manager
DIRECT REPORTS: None
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The core values of Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas, Inc. (CHC/SEK) are dignity and stewardship. Each staff member is expected to perform their job duties in a way that preserves dignity for our patients and maintains good stewardship of CHC/SEK’s resources.
This position will focus improving access to care by providing transportation in CHC/SEK vehicles, connecting riders to internal and community resources, and participating in outreach activities. Activities may include driving community members to appointments or other needed locations such as grocery stores, delivering prescription medication, and utilizing technology to complete safe, and timely rides.
The overview of this position is: to operate gasoline powered vehicles safely and effectively; to follow established company policies and procedures regarding the transportation of passengers/patients, vehicle safety and appearance and the reporting of mechanical, traffic, or behavioral problems encountered; to assist passengers, if needed, to maintain positive public relations with the passengers in the provision of ongoing transportation services.
- Drive assigned vehicle to pick up passengers over specified routes to local points according to a time schedule in a professional and courteous manner.
- Greet and assist, if needed, passengers by helping them board or depart from the vehicle at the curb or help to and from the door.
- Report delays, breakdowns, and accidents using technology systems; make written reports of all incidents/accidents involving the vehicle or passengers during shift.
- Remain alert to traffic and driving conditions to ensure safety of the passengers and the
vehicle; drive defensively and courteously.
- Ensure correct completion of required transportation forms utilizing the Pre/Post Check Inspection forms.
- Report vehicle maintenance needs to the Transportation Manager.
- Be aware of and follow all safety procedures and rules.
- Responsible for administering emergency first aid aboard the bus when situation demands.
- Arrive to work timely and dressed accordingly to company policy.
- Ability to follow route/drop-off/pick-up instructions accordingly to provide a high level of customer service and a timely route.
- Must be flexible and have adaptability to last minute changes in daily schedule.
- Be aware of customer needs and provide an exceptionally high level of quality customer service.
- Attend and maintain training required for position.
- Abide by personnel policies as written.
- Train substitute/new drivers on driving safety, records and other requirements.
- Be aware of CHC/SEK mission and philosophy to the extent that casual conversation in the
community can promote community awareness.
- Perform all job duties in a safe manner.
- Maintain and perform other duties as assigned by Transportation Manager.
- Ability to work outside in any weather condition assisting passengers.
- Capable of lifting, holding or carrying up to 75 pounds repetitively.
- Must have a safe/clean driving record.
- Must be at least 21 years old or older.
- Kansas Commercial Driver’s License.
- Must have a proven work history.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to follow oral and written directions.
- Experience in driving a school bus or public transportation bus preferred.
- Must meet the eligibility requirements of the auto insurance company providing
coverage for vehicles.
- Fluent in English and Spanish a plus.
- Must possess Basic Life Support certification upon hire or within three (3) months of date of hire.
- Other required training must be completed within six (6) months from date of hire. Training includes, but is not limited to Defensive Driving, Emergency Procedures and Wheelchair Securement.
- Must be passionate about helping others.
- Must be able to pass a drug screen/criminal background check.
- Must be fully vaccinated.
Constantly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. Will work with moving mechanical parts and occasionally be exposed to fumes and airborne particles. Occasionally will have to push or pull individually occupied wheelchairs. Must be able to secure wheelchairs inside a bus using
tiedown straps with a ratchet type latch. Position will be for four (4) ten (10) hour shifts.