Diabetic Health Coach I – Fort Scott, Kansas
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is part of the case management team by supporting the Diabetic Education program. This position performs clerical duties, such as coordinating meetings/classes, patient communication and follow up and collection of educational materials for distribution. The Diabetic Program Support Specialist communicates with Diabetic Education staff or directly with the healthcare provider on patients’ needs. This position provides education and/or instruction to patients as needed.
- Initiates contact with patients who have been referred or scheduled for diabetic management. Follow up with patients on a monthly basis. Communicate information as appropriate to Diabetic Educator and/or provider.
- Conduct follow up communication with no-show patients and/or patients receiving new diabetic management instructions and communicate with providers as appropriate.
- Collect food/blood sugar logs from patients every six (6) months or as needed.
- Coordinate education classes including, but not limited to paperwork, scheduling, assist with teaching, and promotion.
- Coordinate other healthcare services for diabetic patients, such as vision, dental and podiatry services.
- Provide patient education on blood glucose monitoring and how to use a Glucometer.
- Works with Diabetic Educator and/or providers on insulin titrations and/or changes in oral medications to help patients reach their goals.
- Provide instruction on insulin use/storage (vials, pens).
- Provide instruction on non-insulin injectable medications.
- Collect patient data as needed for reporting purposes.
- Assist nursing staff in getting supplies/samples for diabetic management patients.
- Keep diabetic management supplies on hand.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- High school or equivalent.
- Certification as a diabetic paraprofessional level 1 (AADE), life coach, etc. preferred.
- Basic Life Support certification required upon hire or within six (6) months of date of hire.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, as travel may be required.