Diabetes Nurse Educator – Any CHC Location
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is part of the clinical team and supports the Diabetic Centers of Excellence program. This position supervises activities performed by the Diabetes Health Coaches (DHC). This person works closely with their direct reports, Diabetic Clinical Provider (DCP), Chronic Care Management (CCM) and Wellness Team as well as other healthcare providers on patient’s needs. This position provides education and/or instruction to patients on proper monitoring of insulin levels, testing and provides guidance on living a healthy lifestyle. This position is responsible for ensuring adherence to the established criteria of the Association of Diabetes Care and Educational Specialist program. This position requires someone who can work independently without the need for constant supervision or guidance.
- Contacts patients who have been referred attend diabetic education and gauges interest on participating in the Diabetic Center of Excellence program.
- Reviews food/blood sugar logs collected from patients and provides recommendations to Diabetic Health Coach on actions needed in order to meet individual goals of patients. Works with DCC as indicated to help patients meet their goals.
- Makes referrals back to the health coaches for follow-up on other identified needs of healthcare services such as vision, dental, podiatry, wellness, dietician, and behavioral services.
- Engage patients in the development of health and social goals and coach patients in the effective management of their health conditions and self-care utilizing techniques such as motivational interviewing.
- Utilize technology and telehealth capabilities to better connect the patient to care.
- Build and maintain positive, supportive working relationships with providers and others.
- Provides diabetic education to those patients of complexing disease processes in a timeframe that will support and help the patient meet their goals, i.e. new diagnosis, knowledge deficit related to disease process and medication management, etc.
- Provides education with focus on diet, physical activity, medication and glucose monitoring.
- Conducts appointments for patients who insulin titrations and/or changes in oral medications to help patients reach their goals.
- Responsible for content development, schedule of dates and locations, delivery of diabetes education program for active patients, community education through partnership and/or others identified to benefit from the program.
- Works closely with Diabetic Clinical Provider and Chief Clinical Officer to ensure program meets current evidence-based guidelines for the most up-to-date education on diabetes management.
- Provides educational materials for patients based upon patient’s age, educational level, cultural and ethnic background.
- Responsible for coordinating monthly and/or quarterly educational sessions to ensure opportunities are available for all CHC/SEK locations utilizing technology as applicable.
- Collect patient data as needed for reporting purposes.
- Ensure ongoing compliance of monthly A1C logs and appropriate patient follow-up provided by the Diabetic Health Coaches.
- Utilizes data to help achieve program goals, improve health outcomes, and advance community health indicators.
- Assists the Vice President of Support Services with performance reviews, hiring and discipline of staff as requested.
- Coordinate with PCP on patients who have co-morbidities of, but not limited to, hypertension, chronic lung disease, obesity.
- Assist clinical staff in getting supplies/samples for diabetic management patients.
- Documents in the electronic health record the assessment, educational plan, intervention and outcomes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing with active Kansas Registered Nurse license.
- Certified Diabetes Care Education Specialist preferred.
- Applicants working toward completion of ADCES certificates of Insulin Therapy, Continuous Glucose Management, Managing Diabetes Complications, Connected Insulin Delivery Devices and Clinical Applications would be considered.
- Completion of the ADCES certificates of Insulin Therapy, Continuous Glucose Management, Managing Diabetes Complications, Connected Insulin Delivery Devices and Clinical Applications, and Lifestyle Coach Training required within 1 year of hire OR completion of CDCES within 2 years of hire.
- Prior supervisory or managerial experience preferred.
- Must have Basic Life Support upon hire or within six (6) months of date of hire.
- Previous case management experience preferred
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, as travel will be required.