Deputy General Counsel – Pittsburg, Kansas
The Deputy General Counsel assists CHC/SEK’s Chief Compliance Officer (CCO)/General Counsel with regulatory and transactional matters. As necessary and directed by CHC/SEK’s CCO, this position serves as a subject matter expert, educational resource, and problem solver for CHC/SEK staff on all aspects of regulatory issues and healthcare transactions. This position will function as the lead within CHC/SEK’s Compliance Department for all legal (law student) interns at CHC/SEK.
- Drafts and reviews contracts and transactions for CHC/SEK which are in line with federal and state laws including, but not limited to, clinical services agreements, vendor agreements, business acquisitions, and lease agreements, as assigned.
- Provides key legal support for transactional and strategic initiatives, including conducting due diligence, drafting transactional documents, and collaborating with outside counsel, as necessary.
- Drafts, reviews, and recommends appropriate forms and structure for transactions and service lines, and assesses liability involved with transactions and service lines, as assigned.
- Works collaboratively with other members of CHC/SEK’s Compliance Department in connection with 340b pharmacy, credentialing and contracting, health information, risk management, and quality-based matters.
- Assists in preparation of corporate governance documents.
- Collaborates with CHC/SEK directors and managers on regulatory issues including, but no limited to, HIPAA, FERPA, FTCA, reimbursement, fraud and abuse, Safe Harbor, Stark, and Anti-kickback issues.
- Assists with the review and revision of system policies and procedures.
- Prepares and provides educational presentations on topics relating to regulatory compliance.
- Actively consults with CHC/SEK departments as requested.
- Helps monitor health care transaction and regulatory legislation, and participates in work groups to operationalize changes in legislation that affect CHC/SEK.
- Participates in or coordinates special projects, as requested.
- Completes legal research, as requested.
- Maintains a legal consultant role with outside organizations, as needed and assigned, for the completion of projects.
- Serves as a lead, mentor, and manager within CHC/SEK’s Compliance Department of all legal interns (law students) at CHC/SEK.
- Performs all duties, services, and documentation in full compliance with CHC/SEK policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctorated (JD) from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Kansas.
- Able to and expected to obtain a license to practice law in the State of Oklahoma within two (2) years of starting employment.
- Two (2) years of experience as a practicing attorney preferred.