Dental Assistant (DA) – Pittsburg, Kansas
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is part of the dental team. This position is responsible for assisting the dentist and dental hygienist in the direct provision of primary care dental services. This position is responsible for sterilization, preparation and inventory control of dental instruments and supplies.
- Serves the dentist's or dental hygienist's chair-side assistant;
- Prepares operatory for patient treatment per clinical protocols and/or dentist's or dental hygienists direction;
- Anticipates the sequence of dental procedures and is prepared in advance of them so that the dentist may work as effectively as possible;
- Reviews the patient's health history for documentation in the electronic dental record;
- Maintains a sterile and neat working environment;
- Observes universal precautions at all times;
- Maintains adequate clinic supplies;
- Assumes the responsibility associated with any expanded duties that may be delegated by the dentist;
- Support dental outreach activities, as assigned;
- Complete all job functions observing confidentiality and HIPAA requirements;
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Graduation from a Dental Assisting program preferred;
- Any combination of education and work experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities qualifying;
- Computer literacy;
- Able to communicate with others to effectively convey information;
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient and employee-base;
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rationale of appropriate patient care;
- Communicates through appropriate channels. Use the proper chain of command for patient complaints;
- Ability to handle emergency situations calmly and effectively;
- Must be able to maintain a good interpersonal relationship with coworkers and other members of the health care team and the organization;
- Provide customer service in accordance with the organization's mission;
- Be courteous and respectful when interacting with patients and family members;
- Maintain patient confidentiality in accordance with organizations policy and procedure and HIPAA requirements.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. Wear personal protective equipment as needed. May be exposed to patients/public with communicable diseases.