Community Health Worker II – Pittsburg, Kansas
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position will focus on addressing social determinants of health and navigating patients through complex healthcare and needs within CHC/SEK’s regional offices. This includes assisting patients with food insecurity, transportation, community referrals, benefits or assistance applications, and addressing a patient’s individual barriers to excellent overall health and wellness. It also may include providing patient transportation in CHC/SEK vehicles, and delivering prescription medications to patients.
Community Health Workers (CHWs) at CHC/SEK are passionate about serving their community. CHWs strive to understand, motivate, and help our patients achieve their goals in health and wellness by eliminating barriers, collaborating with patients to set goals, and working within a care team. CHWs go above and beyond, often assisting patients through innovative methods in nontraditional locations such as a patient’s home or in the community. CHWs must be flexible, knowledgeable about community resources and CHC/SEK care systems, and able to address barriers to care.
- Meet patients, and community members in the home, clinic, or community setting and conduct needs assessments, and screenings, including identification of socio-economic issues that affect their overall health.
- Assist with assigned outreach activities such as delivering prescription medications, attending health fairs, or attending other outreach events, as directed.
- Engage patients in the development of health and social goals and coach patients in the effective management of their health conditions and self-care utilizing techniques such as motivational interviewing.
- Coordinate care and assist with understanding care plans and instructions by making follow-up appointments, accessing prescriptions, or other means as needed.
- Build relationships and follow up with patients about their health via phone calls, home visits, and visits to other settings as needed.
- Utilize technology and telehealth capabilities to better connect the patient to care.
- Work collaboratively, respectfully, and effectively within CHW’s and a patient’s clinical care team.
- Address types of barriers to health through activities such as Medicaid enrollment assistance, prescription assistance applications, among others.
- Serves as a back up to the Community Health Worker I position assisting with transportation, medication deliveries and courier services.
- Build and maintain positive, supportive working relationships with clients, patients, providers, community organizations, and others.
- Contribute to and utilize data to achieve program goals, improve health outcomes, and advance community health indicators.
- Work to address health disparities for vulnerable populations by looking to innovative workflows and processes, or contributing to operational changes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Open to motivated applicants with CNA, RN, LPN, BSW, EMT, CHES, Public Health, Community and Family Services, Health Coach, Case Management, or Social Work experience and/or education.
- Fluent in English and Spanish preferred.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Valid Driver’s License. Must not have more than two (2) moving violations in the past three (3) years.
- Must possess Basic Life Support certification upon hire or within six (6) months of date of hire.
- Other required training must be completed within six (6) months from date of hire and on an annual basis. Training includes, but is not limited to CTAA Pass Basic, Defensive Driving and Wheelchair Securement.