Advanced Practitioner Registered Nurse – USD 234 – Fort Scott, KS
The core values of Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas (CHC/SEK) are dignity and stewardship. Each staff member is expected to perform their job duties in a way that preserves dignity for our patients and maintains good stewardship of the Center's resources.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
This position is part of the medical clinical team. This position is responsible for providing primary care services, including assessing and managing patients in the school following established standards of practice. This position shall be authorized to make independent decisions about advanced practice clinical needs of families, patients and medical decisions based on authorization for collaborative practice with one or more physicians. This is a 10 contracted month position.
- Develops and manages the medical plan of care for patients based upon an agreement developed jointly and signed by the mid-level and supervising physicians.
- Provides complete, comprehensive outpatient care for patients including health examinations and treatment of medical conditions, to include follow-up of problems detected.
- Responsible to manage acute and chronic illness, routine care through care plans that are coordinated, when appropriate, with the patient's behavioral health provider
- Responsible to make appropriate referrals to internal disciplines of CHC/SEK and/or external resources/agencies for additional services required.
- Prescribes medications for patients for treatment of conditions, as indicated.
- Provides clinical consultation to other providers within CHC/SEK as needed.
- Responsible for accurate, timely, and clear medical record documentation.
- Observes clinic protocols and guidelines and scope of practice as determined by professional regulatory agencies.
- Provide appropriate follow-up with clinical support staff to include telephone/written correspondence (e.g. inform patients of test results).
- Provides clear written and oral communication to patients/guardians, and employees.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Ability to weigh the relative costs and benefits of a potential action.
- Supervises healthcare students as assigned.
- Full licensure to practice medicine in the State of Kansas.
- Graduate of accredited physician assistant program, or an accredited advanced nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist program.
- Completion of one-year experience in clinic setting, preferred.
- A strong community/public health orientation, preferred.
- Commitment to serving the underserved.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient-and employee-base
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rationale of appropriate patient care.
- Communicates through appropriate channels. Use proper chain of command for patient complaints.
- Ability to handle emergency situations calmly and effectively.
- Must be computer literate and able to navigate the Electronic Health Record.
- Must be able to maintain good inter-personal relationship with co-workers and other members of the health care team and the organization.
- Provide customer service in accordance to the organization’s mission.
- Be courteous and respectful when interacting with patients and family members.
- Maintain patient confidentiality in accordance to organization’s policy and procedure and HIPAA requirements.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and/or stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.