Accountant I-Pittsburg, KS
POSITION: Accountant I
REPORTS TO: Controller
DIRECT REPORTS: None
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The core values of Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas, Inc. (CHC/SEK) are dignity and stewardship. Each staff member is expected to perform their job duties in a way that preserves dignity for our patients and maintains good stewardship of CHC/SEK’s resources.
This position is a part of the Accounting team. Assists with cash management and all other accounting aspects of the organization, including petty cash, bill-paying, report preparation, cash receipts, deposits, disbursements and payroll.
- Reconciles bank statements.
- Enters payroll information, prints checks and check stubs for direct deposit.
- Files monthly and quarterly labor reports.
- Manages cash allocated to clinics in all locations, tracks bank balances and transactions.
- Compiles data for quarterly and year end accounting reports.
- Works with employees in setting up, answering questions about and performing adjustments with the electronic timecard system program.
- Verifies payroll deductions for employee benefits.
- Facilitates banks deposits.
- Sorts, deposits, and scans accounts receivable payments.
- Assist with grant accounting as directed.
- Communicates and is available to all CHC/SEK locations via telephone and internet.
- Performs all duties, services and documentation in full compliance with CHC/SEK policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Accounting degree required.
- Prior business/commercial accounting preferred.
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Excel spread sheets.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Social and cultural sensitivity appropriate to ethnically and economically diverse patient-and employee-base.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rationale of appropriate patient care.
- Must be organized and able to manage/prioritize tasks to meet deadlines, adapts to change in a positive manner, able to work as a part of a team.
- Communicates through appropriate channels. Use proper chain of command for patient complaints.
- Ability to handle emergency situations calmly and effectively.
- Must be computer literate, especially with Microsoft Office products and be proficient with the Electronic Health Record software.
- Must be able to maintain good inter-personal relationship with co-workers and other members of the health care team and the organization.
- Provide customer service in accordance to the organization’s mission.
- Be courteous and respectful when interacting with patients and family members.
- Maintain patient confidentiality in accordance to organization’s policy and procedure and HIPAA requirements.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to operate computer keyboard, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Computer work is frequent. Good lighting and comfortable temperature of ventilation at all times